On Thursday July 6th, Cooper and Bennett were playing over at their friend Calvin's house when Cooper rushes home and tells me "Bennett fell!" while choking back tears. I didn't know what that meant but I could tell it was serious by how panicked Cooper seemed. I ran across the street to find my neighbor pulling Bennett out of a window well! Apparently earlier that day there had been a bird in the window well so Calvin wanted to show the twins. I am guessing that Bennett leaned over a little too far and fell in. Calvin's dad, Marshall, is a fire fighter so he checked Bennett out for any serious injuries. He was favoring his right arm, but when Marshall was examining it he didn't yell out in pain at any time so it didn't seem like anything was broken. Lauren (Calvin's mom) suggested I still take him in to get checked out since he fell about four feet.
I called his pediatrician's office and they were able to get him in about 15 minutes later.
Cooper and Tessa did great just reading books while we waited for the doctor.
His wrist was tender so they wrapped it up with a splint...
...gave him a sling...
... and sent us to the hospital for some x-rays. I called Susan on our way to the hospital to ask if she could possibly take the other two kids since I wasn't sure how long the x-rays were going to take and she lives about five minutes away. She is amazing so not only did she take them but she also fed them dinner.
Turns out he has a buckle fracture in his wrist so he gets a cast put on on Monday.
Of course he was due for a bath the day he fell so THAT didn't happen but we were able to manage a bath the next day after wrapping his splint in a grocery bag. So now he isn't stinky. Yay!
Several blessings about the fall:
1. The window well that he fell in was only about 4 feet deep instead of ours that is about 6-7 feet.
2. The neighbors hadn't cleaned out their window well yet so there was a good layer of leaves that softened his landing a bit.
3. He happened to be riding his bike earlier so he was still wearing his bike helmet when he fell: his head was protected and he most likely fell head first.
On Monday we went back to the doctor's office to get his cast on. We had talked about it the night before and Bennett was really excited to get a BLUE cast.
Getting his arm prepped with the waterproof lining.
Check out that cute boy. :)
Onto the cool blue outside
Bennett felt his cast and then said: "Mom, it's not squishy." Yeah... that is kind of the point buddy. :)
On Monday we went back to the doctor's office to get his cast on. We had talked about it the night before and Bennett was really excited to get a BLUE cast.
Getting his arm prepped with the waterproof lining.
Check out that cute boy. :)
Onto the cool blue outside
Bennett felt his cast and then said: "Mom, it's not squishy." Yeah... that is kind of the point buddy. :)
I asked Bennett to smile and his fake camera smile looks a little... pirate-y. Sarah kindly added a hook to complete the look. I showed Bennett the picture and he thought it was awesome.
I then asked Bennett to laugh and was able to get a more genuine smile.
When he first saw this picture he asked where his hook went. I told him Aunt Sarah didn't make a hook for this picture. So now he calls this picture: "No-hook Bennett"












No comments:
Post a Comment